Independent Volunteers are defined as those who:
- Work under the general direction and supervision of any District employee; and,
- Provide direct services to students or may, from time to time, have or may be reasonably expected to have unsupervised contact with students.
- Parents/guardians who volunteer at School-Affiliated Organization (SAO)-sponsored activities within school buildings
- Library/Classroom Volunteers
- PTO Building Volunteers
- Individuals who help to manage, officiate and/or perform functions at an athletic event or extracurricular activity
- Volunteer Tutors
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Volunteer who provide counseling and/or health-related services to students.
Anyone interested in serving as Independent Volunteers must:
PA Child Abuse History Check (Act 151) — www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis
PA Criminal History Check (Act 34) — https://epatch.state.pa.us
FBI Federal Criminal History Check (Act 114) — https://uenroll.identogo.co
Note: The cost of obtaining the required clearances is the responsibility of the volunteer. Act 34 and Act 151 clearances should be free for individuals serving as volunteers. The completed Volunteer Application and copies of all listed clearances must be submitted to Mars Area School Board for approval prior to volunteering. All non-student volunteers must be age 21 or older.
All clearances are only valid for five (5) years from the date listed on the clearance report, not the date that a volunteer submits his/her application to the District. Approved volunteers are required to resubmit valid clearances annually.
Questions regarding how to obtain clearances may be directed to Mrs. Kimberly Albaugh, HR Administrator, at (724) 625-1518, ext. 1512, or [email protected].
Mars Area School Board must approve all prospective Independent Volunteers before volunteering can begin. Once the Volunteer Application and copies of all clearances are submitted, all clearances will be verified and the names of those who have met all District requirements will be placed on the next available Board agenda for consideration by the Board.